Epidemiology of Asthma
- According to the CDC, 1 in 13 people in this country have asthma
- Asthma affects 24.8 million people in the US: 5.5 million under 18 years of age and 19.2 million 18 and older
- An estimated 65% of adults with asthma have persistent asthma while 35% have intermittent asthma
- The prevalence of asthma is higher in the African American population compared to Caucasians
- The direct and indirect costs of asthma amount to > $56 billion dollars per year
- Current data reveals the inverse relationship between prevalence of asthma and annual household income
- Asthma by the numbers:
- 439,000 discharge chart notes related to asthma per year
- 2 million physician office visits due to asthma per year
- 1.7 million asthma-related emergency department visits per year
- 13.8 million missed school days
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Most Recent National Asthma Data. March, 2020. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/asthma/most_recent_national_asthma_data.htm.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Control Asthma. September, 2019. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/sixeighteen/asthma/index.htm.